Wednesday 10 January 2007

Give us a break

I have had a few days of routine work recently. No skills (thrills) or spills, thankfully and so I have been able to absorb what is going on in the press. It seems LAS are once again being criticised and yet another scandal is rearing its head.

Rest breaks.

According to European legislation our bosses must give us a rest break each shift, the time of which is usually determined by EOC and generally (or hopefully) coincides with quieter periods. This hasn't exactly been the case. The ambulance service is an unpredictable beast, as are the people who call us. For this reason a number of people have allegedly died (according to the Press) as a result of crews sitting at their stations on a break. You see, whilst on our break we cannot be activated and that's that.

Unfortunately, the way the Press has portrayed this problem may have the general public thinking that we want to sit there and ignore calls. This simply isn't the case. When a crew is put on a break they are not allowed to be activated and if a call comes in the next nearest in-commission vehicle (even from a different location) will be sent instead...thus the delay.

I can't get into this in detail because it may cause problems for me, I just wanted to air my thoughts and since I have an audience of potential 999 callers, it is worth letting you know in advance that this situation may result in a delay but it won't be because the crew ignored your cry for help.

I am currently in limbo. Not only do I have this new format to get to know but I have temporarily lost my usual line on the car due to an administrative error(!). I am working an unfamiliar callsign and don't yet know what my future line will be. I will keep you all posted.

As for the new comment entry routine, I do apologise. I know it's a little more time consuming for you but it secures me against those who, for reasons I still have to understand, wish to destroy this blog. I think their confusion was that they believed this to be an open forum just because it was in the public domain, so to speak.

It's not. It's mine.

Be safe.

8 comments:

Merys said...

Hi Xfileman, I'm glad you've moved because AOL would never let me register, log in or comment!

Welcome to blogger, I will update my link accordingly

Anonymous said...

OH GOODEY...im the very first to comment...usually im late on everything...lol...hope this new site works better for you...I too have been reading the media comments of late on the breaks of the Ambulance service...and thought there must be more to it than what was reported...you cant believe everything you read in the papers. Anyway..good luck to you on and stay safe..reagrds..Sally.(Brandpippy)

Anonymous said...

Hey X-file, I like it, you're right much clearer :-)I'll change the link on me blog in response.

Anonymous said...

Glad youve moved. Hope it's better and happier for you and we lose those hypercritical beasts who are spoiling the enjoyment of so many. I've already added the new you to my favourites. Take care Gill

Anonymous said...

Gald to see you are still Blogging. Hope the New Year treats you well. Just to say I wouldn't pay too much attention to what gets written in the press because most people know its a load of tosh anyway! Like the new pad too!
Bryan

Anonymous said...

Glad you have moved virtual home. I found your blog a month or so ago and have loved reading it but never got round the aol log in to be able to comment.

Look forward to continuing to read your posts and being able to comment - always supposing you approve me!

Lucy

Anonymous said...

I really like the new look. I am an avid reader of this and a couple of other simular blogs. I think the rest break situation currently is a pain for all concerned. Perhaps if the top brass listened to their staff a little more a solution could be found.
Kewp writting!!

Anonymous said...

HI LIke your new home even think the dots r cool glad you continued blogging keep it up ive added you to my favorites
Teresa