Monday 26 March 2007

Recharging the batteries

Four emergency calls, no conveys.

A 12 hour shift can really drag on when there's not much to do. The general public (drunk and sober) have been leaving us alone for a while - making up for the busy Saturday night, no doubt. It was nice to have a break from the frantic pace of the weekend but its also problematic because you just never know when you will get a call, so you can't settle down with a good book (well I can't anyway) or indulge in other time-wasting pastimes. Years ago, and not that long ago in fact, stations had pool or snooker tables in the mess room. A quiet spell was predictable and a game or two could be played whilst on duty. The tables have gone from most stations - retired as props and storage tables. Ornaments of a lost calm.

So I sat and watched telly and chatted with colleagues.

I did do some work though...

I went to attend a 3-year-old who was fitting. When I arrived the crew were following behind. We all piled out and up to the flat where the child was lying on a sofa, surrounded by concerned children and adults. He had been febrile, that's all. It's common in young children and can lead to a convulsion if the body temperature goes above 101.3f. He was recovering and doing what recovering children do - crying. Its a good sign.

We reassured the mother and bundled everyone who was interested into the ambulance. I said my farewells and greened up. Then I was sent to a 'man vomiting in the street'. I wondered why.

I arrived on scene and was waved over by a man who had been standing at the bus stop where the vomiting man lay across a bench. He had deposited two large and very chunky mounds of sick onto the pavement, as you do, and was now resting quietly on the bench without a care in the world. I approached and asked him his name. I asked him what he was doing there and he gave me his home address. This is how it went and continued even when the crew, who I had tried to cancel, arrived.

"Are you drunk?"

"Yes", then he gives his home address.

"Why don't you get a bus or taxi home?"

" ", he gives his home address.

"You can't lie there all night, we will have to get the police to move you on".

"Take me to.." home address again.

"We are NOT a taxi service!"

"I know but can you take me to..." home address.

I didn't even understand where his home address was. I mistook it for somewhere in North London but then I discovered he was French and, although he spoke some English, he preferred French. Funny that.

My French is rusty but the crew's was non-existent, so I pitched in with a few well chosen and probably badly constructed phrases and I got his proper address. See, you can use what you learned in school. He lived south of the river in fact.

The crew kept him occupied and periodically told him off for spitting at their feet, unintentionally I'm sure but still very bad manners, whilst I busied myself looking for a taxi. I hoped I could get one to take him home (he had the money for his fare). I was beaten, not literally, by the police who turned up, at our earlier request, to deal with him. They remonstrated with him and took a mere 3 minutes to shoo him away to Oxford Circus where he would, hopefully, fall into a cab and get home. Vive la France!

Then I wandered down to the square and sat people-watching as usual. No sweets or Manilow remarks tonight; different crowd. However, I did notice a teenager walking from point to point with a little dog on a leash and a cup in his hand (the boy, not the dog - dogs don't have hands). He was begging from anyone and everyone (except me) but nobody noticed him. Now I know there is only so much compassion a person can give when busily getting home, or to the cinema or theatre but to walk through a young man who is obviously down on his luck, well that's no good for humanity, is it? Give him 10p or something. Look at him and say no but don't just walk on and ignore his presence. The poor sod made no headway at all as I watched him. It occurred to me that his dog will be walking to heel off the leash in a few years if things don't improve.

I went back to the station and had my break. I ate my little packed lunch and had some grapes. I love grapes. Then I was summoned to a dodgy estate for a man who had difficulty breathing. I went to the wrong gate of the relevant block of flats and the ambulance arrived before I could get in to see the patient. It didn't matter anyway because he was round the other side of the building, where the entrance was, waiting for us in the street. He didn't look particularly out of breath when he jumped in the back of the ambulance. I did say summoned, didn't I?

The only potentially serious call I got all night was for a diabetic man who was unconscious but even that turned out to be a turkey. I went into the house and he was sitting on the sofa with his eyes shut. He opened them when I spoke and he was quite conscious, I can tell you. Not only that but he didn't have any complaints about his diabetes, all he had was a niggling neck pain. Hmm.

The crew arrived and took him away. Don't worry, I checked his BM before I became presumptious. It was a little high but nothing to be concerned about, certainly not high enough to merit an emergency response. Still, we were having a quiet night so nobody complained.

After that I sat around watching telly and rested my eyes. I felt guilty about not doing anything but that passed and I decided I needed the battery re-charge, as did my colleagues.

I have been trying to get some news about the hit and run girl but haven't had any luck. She was taken to a hospital that I don't go to often and so I can't go over there to find out personally. I have asked my contacts to find out for me. This is an issue for us. We don't get told how our patients are doing, we get no updates or outcomes, unless the patient wants to thank us or there is an enquiry. Poor show I think.

Oh and I will remember those Kiev photos soon!

Be safe.

12 comments:

Merys said...

That was one of the major things that put me off a career as a paramedic. I like to be able to keep up with patients if I want to, and it worried me that I would never feel closure if anything bad happened. At least when I'm moping around the hospital (getting lost) I can follow a patient through their notes...

Otana said...

I went to a McDonald's drive thru the other day and as I pulled around to pay, I spotted a homeless guy sitting by the window. He reached out, so I stopped the car and he asked if I would get him a large fries, and handed me $2; they couldn't serve him at the window because he wasn't in a car. I agreed and bought him his fries (and gave him his $2 back too).

What really annoys me, is that I know that the two cars ahead of me completely ignored him and pretended he wasn't there; they didn't even stop to listen to him and tell him "no, we don't want to give you any money" (I know that's what they expected from him). Must be really comforting to have blinkers against the down and outs of society and pretend they just don't exist.

Xf said...

Merys

I had thought of a system that we could put in place to help keep track of patient outcome but it would depend heavily on the good faith of hospital staff and I'm not sure there's enough of that around these days.

Xf said...

Otana

Yeah, you see what I mean? Sometimes if you listen its not quite what you expect to hear. I wonder how many street folk have been ignored when they were simply asking the time?

Anonymous said...

I've often wondered about your last point i.e. closure for paramedics et al. I have only been a patient for green-clad people once and in far less traumatic circumstances than the hit and run girl you spoke of. I firmly believe in saying thank you to people that help me and was determined to do so but I have to say that its not that easy. If you don't mind telling your story to half a dozen people then you can ring or write to the Patient Advice and Liaison Service but I wanted to see/speak to my helpers in person. After searching in vain for a number, I ended up marching (well, shuffling timidly) into the local ambulance station (ignoring all the No-entry for Unauthorised Personnel signs on the way) and was lucky to get the attendant crew on shift and not on a call out.

The weird thing is that, at the time, I never considered whether the crew needed closure or not. I probably assumed that they didn't because they do this kind of thing day in, day out and therefore it would not have meant as much to them as it did to me. I've only really come to wonder about it through reading blogs.

I hope that one day a system will be put in place for you to follow up your patients because your compassion and concern should be rewarded. Does the LAS have a suggestions box?

K

Anonymous said...

Did the diabetic call you out for his neck pain and only pretending to be unconcious, what a time waster, are you allowed to advise anyone who calls you out when they could go to their own GP how selfish they are.

Anonymous said...

I dropped in to see if you had an update on the girl. She's been in my mind a lot.

Rosie

Xf said...

anon

To be honest I don’t think he called us, I think his concerned family did. The man was just napping on his sofa but they thought he was unconscious! It happens a lot more than you would believe. People just don’t know the difference!

Mind you, I’d rather have my time wasted by him than by a drunken teenager.

Xf said...

Rosie

Sorry, nothing about her yet.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. By the way, about getting thanks from families. I did manage (eventually) to track down the paramedics who were called to my grandmothers accident scene - why were they called when she was so obviously dead though?? (scotland). I've always been curious about that.

Anyway, I tracked them down and sent a card, which they then wrote a lovely letter in reply to.

When my dad got taken ill it was a crew local to his village who attended and saved his life, again I wrote and thanked them.

Both crews seemed astonished that I took the time to do that. But my question really is, why wouldnt I? They took the time to help my family and stuff so the least I can do is a tiny thing like thanking them.

I sometimes wonder about the state of humanity when a simple word of thanks is too much to offer.

Rosie x

Xf said...

Rosie

Paramedics will be called to confirm recognition of life extinct unless the police doctor does it. The police themselves cannot do it.

I'm sure the crews you thanked deserved your praise and remember you giving it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Xf,

Thanks for answering that one. I suppose its been niggling at me all this time.

Rosie x