Monday 3 September 2007

So little time

I haven't had much time to reply to everyone (including emails) and I apologise. I'll put a couple of things to bed now if you don't mind...

First of all the little debate about what the term BM meant had me smiling a few times. You are of course ALL correct but BM is a variable term - it means Bedside Measurement and applies to ALL tests conducted at the bedside (usually in hospital) and since the only applicable test we carry out in the field which could fit the bill is for blood glucose, then we use BM to describe it.

It also stands for the manufacturer of the chemical strips used in glucose tests BUT also for other blood tests; the company make a range of strips and tests so the term BM could not necessarily be applied to one.

It also stands for Bowel Movement (you can stop grinning now) of course but this is mainly used in hospital.

I hope this clarifies the BM debate :-)

Next, Sue...you should know better...I won't identify a location unless I know it is safe to do so (nice try though).

Finally, thank you all for your comments about the last post; I'm sure my colleagues will be happy to know that you care about our worst days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And there was me thinking it meant Bone Marrow or Bad Manners or Birthmark or Brast Milk or Big Mac or Bob Marley or British Museum or Book Mark or Black Magic or Bloody Mary or Beer Money or Big Mouth or Ballistic Missile or British Midland or Batman or Bridesmaid or Benchmark or... Beats Me. D'oh!

Anonymous said...

Breast milk!

Anonymous said...

And here was me thinking you were ignoring me!!